Efficiency and Cost-Effectiveness: How Healthcare Staffing Agencies Optimize Staffing Resources
At every level of the healthcare industry, from a single doctor in private practice to a vast hospital conglomerate, staffing decisions are not only the most impactful choice that an organization can make, they can also be the most maddingly vexing. Deciding how to best match the abilities and availability of current and potential employees with the given labor requirements of an organization can feel like a sisyphean chore. And yet, unlike in other industries, the difference between an optimally staffed and understaffed hospital isn’t an underwhelming quarterly report, it is patient lives lost to a staff stretched too thin. Recent research suggests that hospital understaffing increases patient mortality by a stunning range of 4-6% after admission. With this sobering reminder in mind, it’s no wonder that so many of our clients are proactive in trying to remain adequately staffed as much as humanly possible.
That being said, simply placing warm bodies in scrubs is not enough to maintain an ethical level of quality care. Underqualified (and unqualified) personnel are less efficient, less effective, and put a greater burden on their colleagues, while increasing their qualified colleagues’ dissatisfaction with their jobs. A healthcare organization’s search for qualified staff, be it doctors, nurses, technicians, …etc., is nearly as important an endeavor as they could undertake.
Even though the immediate benefits of understaffing are easily apparent, the benefits of a healthcare staffing agency like SMG Recruiters may not be. But we believe that hospitals are at their best when they’re dedicated to their mission of patient care and we believe they can only be so when they’re properly staffed. But even setting this aside, at SMG Recruiters, we believe that we can help your organization reduce overhead and optimize the resources at your disposal with our unique services. Here are just a few of the ways that we can help you.
How we help
- Limiting overtime Pay — The federally mandated overtime pay of 150% can take a bite out of any hospital budget. With nursing shortages across the country, many hospitals have even resigned themselves to deliberately scheduling nurses for overtime. This 150% premium on labor hours and deliberate staff overtaxing could be avoided simply with a larger worker pool. Not only would it increase staff retention and satisfaction, but it would also reduce overall costs. SMG Recruiters can help mitigate staffing shortfalls and help your organization cut unnecessary overhead at the same time.
- Flexibility — SMG recruiters offers healthcare organizations flexible solutions to meet fluctuating staffing needs. Hospitals do not need to have the same amount of staff for every day of the year. Maintaining fiduciary responsibility often means hiring staff at levels that match the ebbs and flows of patients throughout the year. We can provide staff for short-term assignments, seasonal demands, or long-term positions, helping hospitals maintain efficient staffing levels without the need to hire full-time employees for temporary needs.
- New Staff Cost Savings — Hiring and onboarding new staff can be expensive and time-consuming. Staffing agencies like SMG Healthcare Recruiters help hospitals save costs associated with recruiting, training, and benefits, as we can provide staff who are already trained and experienced. More than this, we provide staff members that will be effective from day 1, rather than handing off staff who will face a significant learning curve in attempting to get comfortable in their first job of this kind.
- Quality Assurance — As previously mentioned, unqualified staff members are ineffective and inefficient. But even more than that, ineffective staff members can lead to an increased volume of medical malpractice lawsuits, workman’s compensation claims and an overall increase in staff turnover. Avoiding bad hires places administrative burden on healthcare organizations that can drag down even the most efficient workplace. With SMG Healthcare Recruiters, we do the tedious, essential work of checking references, considering resumes, and evaluating potential staff so that our client’s can focus on more important things than whether the nurse they just hired can really set up a patient’s IV drip.
- Assisting Hospital Administration — While medical staff is the beating heart of any organization, our services extend to staffing services for administrative and leadership roles, both essential parts of any organization. Shortages or shortfalls in quality personnel in these roles can also drag down an organization, resulting in delays, inefficiencies, and cost inflation, even from non-patient-facing personnel.
At SMG Healthcare recruiters, we believe that we can provide our clients the peace of mind that only comes from access to a reliable, high quality service that lowers costs and optimizes your organization’s staffing efficiency. Hopefully, you now understand how we can help you.
Every single healthcare organization needs qualified, dedicated staff to fulfill their mission. To that end, our organization stands ready to assist you today. If you believe that your organization can benefit from SMG Healthcare Recruiters services, please contact us here or give us a call at (321) 353-8310. We also love meeting our clients in person. If you’re in our area, please feel free to visit during regular business hours. We’re located at 8000 South Orange Avenue, 107. Orlando, FL 32809